Monday, April 30, 2018

Review: The Cellar

The Cellar The Cellar by Natasha Preston
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

The Cellar kinda stomped my spirit. I just KNEW this was going to be SO. GOOD.

It wasn't.

For one the story needs to decide if it's adult or not. You can have immature characters, young characters, and still be an adult book. The Cellar unsuccessfully straddled that fence and were this book a male, that failure would have been painful. And while I'm on the subject of characters, it's probably possible to make a character more annoying than Summer (and Preston tried with Clover and Lewis) but it would take a lot of effort. Waiting for the main character's death scene like the Grinch looking down on Whoville most likely isn't what the author was going for.

Or maybe she was and if so, Bravo!!

Clover is the most pathetic villain both in imagination - I read the Butterfly Garden, too - and follow through. He ticks every cliche box on every villain how to list there could possibly be. It's hard to be scared or even unnerved by a character so thoroughly superficial and dull.

View all my reviews