Tuesday, April 11, 2017

Review: First Person: Supernatural Interviews

First Person: Supernatural Interviews First Person: Supernatural Interviews by Okisha Jackson
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

This is a collection of poems derived from "interviews" with emotions/themes such as Racism, Depression, Fear, Sex etc... What a fascinating, uniquely creative idea for writing! I was in awe of the concept, frustrated that I didn't think of it first, and tingling with excitement as I downloaded it.

It gets deep quickly with Depression and Racism all the way through Insecurity and Rape. The voice is haunting with bursts of humor and sprinkles of shame. Overall, this book is inspirational, if you're Christian and like that kind of thing in your reading material. I, myself, do not want scripture quoted after a chapter on sex but that's just me. I can see this being hugely popular with church groups both young and old. I am just not the audience she was reaching for. That said, she may not have been reaching for me but she caught me just the same. I would absolutely recommend this book to certain friends and family.

View all my reviews