Thursday, July 18, 2019

Review: The Beckoning of Beguiling Things

The Beckoning of Beguiling Things The Beckoning of Beguiling Things by Calinda B.
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

The Beckoning Series by author Calinda B. begins with The Beckoning of Beguiling Things. Though I have never read any of her work before, I truly did not expect to be enamored by her writing so quickly. I mean, page two and there she is describing Las Vegas heat as "Satan's ball sack." I'm a fan, okay? Then, I realize that Marissa's pregnant sister is responsible for dragging her to Sin City, which already makes zero sense already based on my personal experiences and impressions these characters made on me so early in the book - #1 Pregnant women probably won't find much that is healthy for them on the Strip so why in the name of all that is holy would she choose there? and #2 Marissa strikes me as pretty much the opposite of a Vegas-weekend-trip-to-cut-loose kind of girl and shouldn't her sister be aware of that? Tidbits of reality such as those poking their uptight noses into my fiction aside, Beguiling Things runs the gambit in terms of adjectives to accurately describe the plot, but I'm going to list the ones bouncing around in my head anyway; modern, magic, funny, tragic, exciting and a healthy dose of fantasy. I'm looking forward to the follow-up.

View all my reviews