Sunday, August 20, 2017

Review: The Host

The Host The Host by Stephenie Meyer
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

The Host is absolutely one of my top 3 favorite books of all time. Saw what you want about the writing in the Twilight series, Meyer has proven to me that she's a masterful writer. Yes, perhaps a bit high on the romance aspect but sorry folks, love and the chance for love is what people will fight for.

Let me start with the aliens. I have a tendency to roll my eyes and lose interest in alien plots. But, the aliens in The Host were fascinating. I mean yes, they took over and the human race basically gets wiped out. BUT. Why? Because we are as a whole, a terrible species! We're awful to one another, mindlessly destructive to our planet, cruel to animals, etc, etc, etc... Is it really that much of a stretch of the imagination that beings from another world might not look kindly on that? Now I'm not saying they aren't the enemy in the book but only slightly more so than say, Kyle. That guy was a bad guy! Also, the fact that they weren't little green men or huge snarling grey masses was a big plus for me.

At the heart of this book, what I really fell in love with was the combination of the human spirit and the desperate clinging to the world they knew and leaving room for that sliver of hope that some sort of peace can be reached. The Host made me angry, scared me, frustrated me, and ultimately made me cry. And I don't cry. If a book can make me cry and I don't hate the author with a fury because of it, that's a job well done.

Please don't pass this book up just because you hated Twilight!

View all my reviews