Monday, June 10, 2019

Review: The Circle

The Circle The Circle by Sage Sask
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

The Circle: Taken
by Sage Sask

This novel is science fiction, of the dystopian variety, featuring rather young heroes and heroines. When I think of the audience for Young Adult fiction, I picture high school seniors to college aged young people but this felt as though it were written for more juvenile fans. It is worth noting that though it felt 'for' younger readers, there are some decidedly more mature aspects; specifically, a higher level of violence than I expected. The premise is intriguing but overall, felt forced, especially the all-important-romance that seems a necessity in the YA genre. Characters felt one-dimensional despite the author giving them natural faults and realistic reactions almost all the way through the story. I am fully willing to admit that my prickliness about this book is probably due strictly to personal preference and I am most likely too far removed from the target audience to form an appreciation for the story on its own merit.

View all my reviews