Monday, June 10, 2019

Review: A Place to Stay Forever

A Place to Stay Forever A Place to Stay Forever by Mark L. Lloyd
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I have been watching a lot of "Black Mirror" on Netflix and "A Place to Stay Forever" reminded me especially of "San Junipero," but also of several other episodes in the series. The concept of a future where the limits of human consciousness are less and less defined is a common science fiction theme. Author Mark L. Lloyd certainly has a knack for that genre of fiction on the whole. There are some things that must be written well to make a science fiction novel believable in at least an abstract way. In my experience, those 'things' aren't universal; for instance, if everything else is right, the characters can be completely absurd and still, it can all work. Here, I found the time-travel aspect a little confusing and hard to follow. The characters were straight-forward and maybe not one-dimensional, but only moderately fleshed out, in my opinion. Still, I can't say that overall, it didn't work because it did. It defies logic, as science fiction tends to do, I suppose.

View all my reviews