Tuesday, September 26, 2017

Review: Fired Up

Fired Up Fired Up by Anna Durand
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I'm always looking for my new favorite romance book couple and unfortunately Mel and Adam fell a bit short. On one hand, I was thrilled that the two were actual friends and the author didn't try to sell insta-love to me. On the other hand, I feel like I was told they were friends rather than their friendship being developed in the book. I appreciated the mostly tasteful sex scenes and that their story was the real meat of the novel. Often that isn't the case in the contemporary romance genre so it was refreshing here. Of course we have the vengeful ex/villain with Devon, only Devon was just this nuisance character that I felt was only there to highlight how amazing and hard to lose Mel is. That could have easily been done in a dozen other, non-typical ways. Then we have the ever popular hero/heroine completely overreacts to some perceived betrayal, leading to the couple nearly breaking up for all of eternity, followed quickly by being mercifully brought back together after one of them has something incredibly dramatic happen to them which of course shocks the other into realizing they he/she absolutely, without a doubt cannot live their life without the other and they live happily ever after.
Now that all sounds a bit snarky and as though I didn't enjoy Fired Up but I actually did. Despite some tired, cliche moments, the dialogue was fresh, the story flowed and was well paced, and it was HOT! We read romance books for some hot romance, right? Well, you won't be disappointed with that aspect at all, promise.

View all my reviews