Sunday, December 3, 2017

Review: Ahe'ey

Ahe'ey Ahe'ey by Jamie Le Fay
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Ahe'ey stands tall as a smart, full bodied fantasy written by the obviously talented Jamie Le Fay. Touted as a feminist's dream of a novel, the 'I am woman, hear me roar' vibe runs deep without being obnoxious. When you reflect on the fact that this manages to be a girl power work and a romance, you begin to see how insightful Le Fay writes. Piled on feminism and romance, Ahe'ey also mixes bits of action, fantasy, and paranormal in and still it doesn't feel overdone.

One of the few grumbles I have about the book is that the reader is thrown into this story seemingly in the middle. We have no idea who anyone is or why they might be important. For someone like me, that is jarring and my compulsive need to have everything known and straight in my head can't handle it. I am aware that some people enjoy massive unknowns in their literature; those people should have no issues. The appendices found at the end of the book laid out much useful information to help clear up aspects of the story. I wish I had known it was included, I think I would have been less lost.

View all my reviews