Monday, December 18, 2017

Review: Treasure of the Magical Mine Moppets

Treasure of the Magical Mine Moppets Treasure of the Magical Mine Moppets by K.J. Blocker
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

Treasure of the Magical Mine Moppets is billed as a children's book and yes, there are many child friendly aspects to the novel. There are also a lot of angles that are not so benign and unfortunately during my reading I kept reacting to those parts with a tad of parental trepidation.

Jimmy is the youth in the narrative. He is present for the trials and tribulations that the plot throws at the characters but it still seemed to me that he and his feelings weren't the true receptacle of the lessons exhibited in Treasure of the Magical Mine Moppets. Jimmy's father, Tom, and the rest of the adults in the story felt like the centerpiece of the story and it didn't jive with the children's book I expected when I started to read. The writing here is gilden prose in some parts and juvenile in others and the wild swing made me dizzy.

View all my reviews