Wednesday, May 31, 2017

Review: A Simple Favor

A Simple Favor A Simple Favor by Darcey Bell
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I went back and forth about how to rate this book. Genre-wise, normally this is my thaang, y'all. Character-wise, I think maybe it's best if I don't hate them all, right? Well, I couldn't stand all three main characters. Stephanie, up on her incestous high horse, blogging her way to salvation that she has no right to receive was my least favorite. And lucky for me we get most of the story from her whiney, morally twisted point of view. Emily, hell, at least she was honest about what an evil wench she was. None of this hem hawing, should I be good or bad crap from her, no ma'am. Which leaves us at Sean. Please. Can we say spineless, ladies and gentlemen? Or how about dull? Next to useless? Really any and all of these will suffice. If the goal was to create a cast of characters with no good guy, mission accomplished.

Now, the story, yes it was a tad cheesy. You saw a lot of it coming. But you didn't see it happening the way it did. Or for the reasons it did. That, and only that, made the book good. Really good actually. If only the characters didn't suck so much as people. It was fast paced - except for Stephanie's mind numbing blog posts - and the twists were placed just right in my opinion. Overall, it was a good book with terrible characters.

View all my reviews