Monday, October 16, 2017

Review: The Cross Tells Me

The Cross Tells Me The Cross Tells Me by Darren Cox
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Darren Cox's The Cross Tells Me is the story of Adelphi, a small country town somewhere in America and their devotion to a large cross that sits on top of a figurative pot of gold in the form of an oil reserve. Bill McFar can't understand why these people are so against simply removing an old wooden cross. What follows is a story of this man learning about this town, their faith, and ultimately how to believe from that very cross, itself. I found the idea of the cross coming to life to show Bill exactly why the residents were fighting so hard to keep it, a brilliant idea. As I read the synopsis and got it into my head what to expect, never once did that scenario pop into my head. It's rare for that to happen when you've read as many books as I have.

The Cross Tells Me is a shorter novel and well written, save some typographical errors sprinkled throughout. I am agnostic teetering on the edge of atheism so I'll admit to bristling a bit at the subject matter. I found that I was able to enjoy the story regardless and so I imagine it would do very well in Christian literary circles.

View all my reviews