Thursday, October 26, 2017

Review: Milestone: Project Amber

Milestone: Project Amber Milestone: Project Amber by Carl Lakeland
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Now that is how you write a killer opening scene, folks! No pun intended. Milestone: Project Amber, The Milestone Incident takes place in Australia. Events from 1996 preface this account of a young, idealistic journalist named Angel. She has landed the interview of a lifetime smack dab in the midst of some shady happenings concerning risks to national and global security, it's do or die time for this punchy young woman. Cark Lakeland whips up a tight thriller full of intrigue that evolves into science fiction seamlessly. I've never read anything like it. Each character, even minor ones, feel fully developed and utilized perfectly to enhance the story. Not one sentence of dialogue reads forced or wasted. I found myself nearly obsessed with the story and figuring out where it was all leading.

I appreciated the suddenness of the plot twists throughout. It was nice not to see things coming chapters in advance. There are several loose ends and those would irritate me if this weren't the first of a trilogy. I hope the author is holding some things back to explore in future volumes.

View all my reviews