Monday, November 6, 2017

Review: The Matriarch Matrix

The Matriarch Matrix The Matriarch Matrix by Maxime Trencavel
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Reviews for The Matriarch Matrix are widely varied. So much so that it was difficult to even nail down what the plot of the book was to be. The opening scene didn't do much to clear things up but what it did manage to do was capture my interest. Throughout the book the reader is transported through time in all manner of nonlinear terms.

Trencavel develops many multifaceted characters for her readers to love and hate. One complaint I have concerning characters is that the women are written to be strong and then all but curtsey and cry their way through the book. Also many of the characters possessed grandiose assets such as beauty, sheer body mass, intellect, and inner turmoil beyond the point I could take seriously. One or two characters being written that way would have been fine but even Hollywood movies have average characters balancing out the odds.

Something I think people should realize about this book is that if rape is a trigger subject for you, choose another book. I'm not one of those people and still I found this a bit much.

View all my reviews