Tuesday, January 9, 2018

Review: Rough Cut

Rough Cut Rough Cut by Brian Pinkerton
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

The best horror novels aren't necessarily penned by Stephen King. That statement is a moot point as Rough Cut by Brian Pinkerton
is not what I have in mind to be classic horror. Thriller, crime fiction, yes. And a good thriller at that. The crime is gruesome and not the norm for the genre, which I appreciated, but it lacked the graphic gore and The premise is that Hollywood has-been, Harry Tuttle, desperate for the script that will return him to his former glory, finds it, takes credit for it, and then realizes he's been soaking up the accolades for a for a SNUFF film. So, he kinda had it comin'.

I am a Pinterton newbie but Rough Cut will most definitely not be my last. The style in which Pinkerton's writes is to be admired. He knows how to move a plot along without rushing and that is much easier said than done. The reader feels a part of the story, invested in the characters and their survival. Also something that is not easy to accomplish. This is a solid thriller (horror lite, if you insist on the label).

View all my reviews