Saturday, March 16, 2019

Review: Fractured: Dereck Dillinger and the Shortcut to Oz

Fractured: Dereck Dillinger and the Shortcut to Oz Fractured: Dereck Dillinger and the Shortcut to Oz by Eddie McPherson
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Fractured: Dereck Dillinger and the Shortcut to Oz is the second book by Eddie Mc Pherson I have read featuring Dereck Dillinger and his little sister, Jessie. I thought the Crystal Ball was superb and I hoped this would be as well done as that, avoiding the dreaded formula factory that series following the same characters sometimes can get swallowed up in. I needn't have worried. This time Jessie and Dereck are home alone when a storm moves in leaving them separated in the house. Dereck again finds himself in a warped world; Oz this time, though an Oz inhabited by the fairy tale characters Jessie loves. There is a lot of adventure, humor, magic, and heart along the way to get back to save his little sister.

Shortcut to Oz is an uplifting, bright story for younger readers up to teenagers. Lessons are taught through positives rather than the doom and gloom some authors use to create the same message and I think that is important. I hope Mr. Mc Pherson intends to write more Dereck Dillinger books.

View all my reviews