Saturday, March 16, 2019

Review: In the Vines

In the Vines In the Vines by Shannon Kirk
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I found this novel by reading reviews for another book, it being mentioned as a better version of the one I was considering. I've yet to read the original book but In the Vines did not disappoint. The story, the mystery was complex until it was revealed to be so simple and yet that was not a let down in any way. Even though I had an inkling of the way things might shake out, the ending was not trite.

My only complaint comes via a compliment - the writing style. Shannon Kirk uses a beautiful but sometimes meandering prose to describe everything from the way a room looks to the cadence of a character's speech. It's brilliant and I admire the creativity it takes to write that way. However, there were times when I skimmed through some of the anecdotic paragraphs to get to the meat of what was happening. I was so excited to find out, to know the secrets, that the volume of that style felt like tree branches across a bridge I desperately wanted to get cross.

View all my reviews