Saturday, March 9, 2019

Review: The Game of VORs

The Game of VORs The Game of VORs by Andrew Orange
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Set in a dystopian version of the present, The Game of VORs by Andrew Orange is a familiar tale of a young man yearning to please his father and the repercussions of that path of action. Kier Vorsmith has failed his exams and derailed the plans he had for college and a quiet life beyond, angering his father, the ruthless Count Vorsmith. As a result and to his utter dismay, Keir is banished to the Arctic to be a weatherman.

Being a dystopian bordering on science fiction novel, there are many unfamiliar terms and the author was light on explanations, leaving the reader to figure it out on their own. That added to the frustration of trying to decipher where the real threats were in the plot in a way that was distracting. I think the intended audience for this book includes teens and young adults and I would caution the younger end of the range readers that there are very dark subjects handled here including rape and murder. I would definitely recommend this to any young person I felt was capable of handling those topics though.

View all my reviews