Thursday, July 2, 2020

Review: Life is Big

Life is Big Life is Big by Kiki Denis
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Life is Big
by Kiki Denis

I'll just say it upfront, this book is bizarre. There are characters and places with names that are seemingly unpronounceable and there is a jumpiness about the plot flow that, while sometimes annoying, does seem fitting for this story. I felt like the author went a little overboard with the exclamation points and the dialogue was wanting here and there. Another reviewer said it was like being in someone else's dream, and I agree. The oddities in our own dreams are subliminally understood through personal knowledge and experiences, but here the reader has no such clarification to help decipher the meaning. I think Life is Big is a clever and insightful read if you have the fortitude to focus through the absurdity and confusion.

Death and his brother, the obituary writer, among many others, are brilliant characters, in my opinion. It's not that Death hasn't been a character before but that brother... nice move, Mrs. Denis, you can write.

View all my reviews