Thursday, July 2, 2020

Review: A Red Sun Rises

A Red Sun Rises A Red Sun Rises by K.D. Van Brunt
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

A Red Sun Rises (The New Earth Trilogy Book 1) Kindle Edition
by K.D. Van Brunt

Ah, dear readers, we have another 'global pandemic requires post-apocalyptic survival' story. But this one is filled with young adult angst in a dystopian world. Paige and Jake, the main characters, are teenagers, and the way the dialogue is written makes that perfectly clear, which is no easy feat to accomplish.

I appreciated that this story takes place many years after the pandemic and mass deaths that it caused for this book but I do hope the author considers writing a prequel. Van Brunt has written some amazingly imaginative characters and creatures in A Red Sun Rises but where I thought he shined was with the virus itself. The Red does some messed up stuff beyond killing people within an hour of infection and mutating animals in terrifyingly strange ways and that's what I want more of.

By the way, I despise cliffhangers. Book 2 better be worth it.

View all my reviews