Thursday, July 2, 2020

Review: Murphy's Will

Murphy's Will Murphy's Will by Edward a McCoyd
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

It's been a good while since I've come across a legal thriller that wasn't a cheap John Grisham knockoff. Let's just be real, it's not easy to make probate and estate law titillating but then comes Edward A. McCoyd with Murphy's Will, a novel chock full of thrills, drama, action, mystery, and suspense. It is a rather quick read at only 224 pages but it packs a good punch. The opening scene grabs your attention and holds it tight right through the epilogue. That it is set in 1987 at first had me groaning but as it turns out, that one aspect made the whole thing work in just the right way.

Something else that I appreciated was the lightness of the story despite the dreary circumstances of the plot. This author has a way of writing that makes the reader feel like everything will work out in the end without detracting from the heaviness of the events in the story without going all Pollyanna about it. Very well done. I will be reading everything else Mr. McCoyd publishes.

View all my reviews