Friday, January 25, 2019

Review: Sycophants

Sycophants Sycophants by Linda Gould
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

Coming of age is not, by a long shot, my favorite genre of fiction but after reading the summary and a few reviews I thought this one might change my mind. Sycophants by Linda Gould is an account of Imogene and Sara and their life working together in New York City. The two women collaborate on a film and the narrative describes the trials and tribulations they face along the way. It sounded unique and I was excited to read it.

I'm glad I did, for two reasons; it confirmed for me that the coming of age genre still sticks in my craw and it gave me a chance to appreciate a writer without really enjoying his/her book. The definition of sycophant is a person who acts obsequiously toward someone important in order to gain advantage. Obsequiously, so you don't have to Google it, basically means brown-nosing. And those two definitions are why I didn't like the book. I'm not sure I've ever despised characters so thoroughly. Gould made me feel something, even if it was loathing, for a character and that right there is a sign of a good writer.

View all my reviews