Thursday, April 11, 2019

Review: The Last Gathering

The Last Gathering The Last Gathering by Norbert Monfort
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

The Last Gathering: Where Tragedy Takes a Twist Through Time by Norbert Monfort

This is a very short, just over one hundred pages, fiction novel in the genre of religion (specifically Christian, more specifically Catholic )/suspense/magical realism. In short, the main character is a 'lost soul' who has shunned God because she has had such a rough life. She is shown, through divine intervention, that all of her suffering was actually HER fault and how dare she expect a good and merciful God to shield her from pain that SHE caused. Magically this makes her believe and serve God again (this being where I see the magical realism portrayed in the novella).

Look, I'm not an atheist. I believe in... something. I don't know exactly what it is but at the core of whatever it is, is love. What I do know is it's not the vengeful at worst and neglectful at best God that any organized religion shoves down my throat. However, when looked at through the religious lenses of believers, I see the lesson/moral in the plot. Aside from some editing issues, I think the faithful would enjoy The Last Gathering and that alone earns the three stars.

View all my reviews