Tuesday, April 30, 2019

Review: Unshelled: A Tale of the Nutcracker

Unshelled: A Tale of the Nutcracker Unshelled: A Tale of the Nutcracker by M. J. Neary
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Let's just start with the author, Marina Julia Neary. Her bio states she is "a self-centered, only child of classical musicians..." and that she is "notorious for her abrasive personality and politically incorrect views that make her a persona non grata in most polite circles...". So basically, she is who I want to be when I grow up. I thought I might like this book based on that alone but I was wrong. I enjoyed Unshelled for many more reasons.

I love the way Neary wrote this Nutcracker adaptation. When she has Marie actually speaking to the reader, she is punchy and playful; 'What's the matter? I see your eyebrows creeping upward. Do you have a problem with a German nurse reading articles in English?' Those exchanges help me bond with a character and I appreciate writers who use that tactic.

The themes in this novel are deep and dark but there is plenty of hope and light to appease the Pollyannas among us.

View all my reviews