Wednesday, April 24, 2019

Review: The Pilot's Wife

The Pilot's Wife The Pilot's Wife by Anita Shreve
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I seem to be drawn to these "The 'insert profession's Wife" novels. The message I'm getting? Men/husbands are assholes. Also, liars. And oftentimes, criminals. These titular wives are painted with a broad doormat brush in the more recent rash of publications of this sub-sub-genre, only slightly less so in The Pilot's Wife. Kathryn is a doormat, for certain, but perhaps due to the style of writing that Anita Shreve employs, the reader wants to smash reality into her head just a little bit less than in others. In short, I really did like this book, or more precisely, I liked the prose. Shreve can write a novel with feeling in a uniquely artistic way, of which I am in awe of.

Feeling compelled to comment on the ever-present alternate husband figure, I am wringing my hands because is it truly that unheard of that a woman becomes a widow/divorcee and just goes on to have a happy life? Must there always be a man waiting in the wings? Cue eye roll emoji.

View all my reviews