Friday, February 2, 2018

Review: Atlantis

Atlantis Atlantis by Carol Roberts
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

Atlantis by Carol Roberts is listed under mythical, mythology, metaphysical, magic, and fantasy. Each of those terms apply to Atlantis rather equally. I don't have a lot of experience in those genres but mythology is the one that draws my attention over the others. Here we follow the story of Alanthea who is a high-priestess of Atlantis and Arakon, a loner, who each find themselves in the orbit of one woman named Andromeda which leads them on a journey to save Atlantis. Straight away we have the first issue I had with this story. Numerous character names begin with an A and while it's true that they are different enough to stay separate and discernible in your mind, it feels lazy to me. Branch out farther down the alphabet, it'll be fun, I promise! What really kept me from loving this book was the same thing that drew me to it - mythology. It is hard to write mythology with a sense of realism and I found myself missing that aspect much more than I expected. Here is another example of a decent book that just wasn't for me.

View all my reviews