Wednesday, February 28, 2018

Review: The Last Train

The Last Train The Last Train by Michael Pronko
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Author Michael Pronko brings us The Last Train, a murder mystery where the mystery is not who the murderer is. Set in Tokyo, there is an exotic aura to the story that I thought enhanced everything from plot to characters. I can admit to being completely ignorant of Japanese culture and day to day, it doesn't hold any interest to me. Which is why I was surprised that I enjoyed that aspect of this book as much as I did.

The cliches in The Last Train are plenty but none more-so than brooding, lonely detective, Hiroshi Shimizu. I must say, cliche or not, you gotta love the guy. I did, anyway. All of the characters were fascinating in one way or another, including minor ones. The plot is fast paced but not rushed which is a difficult balance to achieve. I would have no problem recommending this novel to my mystery loving bookies, especially those who gravitate toward police procedurals.

View all my reviews