Friday, February 2, 2018

Review: The Sender

The Sender The Sender by Tom Baum
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

As soon as I read the comparison to a Tarantino movie I mentally checked out. Pulp Fiction and Inglorious Basterds, brilliant. Pretty much everything else, no thanks. Hallucinations as an aspect of a story are especially irritating to me because I feel like I can't trust anything and that ruins it for me. My excessive need for perfect order requires a solid storyline, that's how I'm built. However, the John Doe, mental institution, Stephen King Carrie angle piqued my curiosity so I settled in and started to read. I can't tell you how glad I am that I did. First, my worry about the hallucinations turned out to be mostly unfounded. They do create a certain shadow over what is real and what is not but you don't get three quarters of the way through and find out that everything that has happened so far actually didn't happen. All of the characters felt fully fleshed out but I don't remember being told everything about them to get me there. That is a positive in my opinion. The Sender turned out to be a very good book and fans of Tarantino and King alike will get something great from this.

View all my reviews