Wednesday, February 28, 2018

Review: Unfrozen

Unfrozen Unfrozen by Regine Abel
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Coming into a series at book nine usually creates some serious confusion but in Unfrozen, that is not a problem for the reader. In this series, Valos of Sonhadra, each book has a different author so the variance in each one must be wide. I think that's an interesting way to do a series.

The opening scene in Unfrozen is a great hook. My worst fear is physical torture and the depiction of the fear Lydia experiences while she waits for her turn is gut wrenching. It's not easy to write that kind of thing but Regine Abel has a knack for it. Beyond creating that atmosphere of fear, the author also manages to give you some good background without you realizing that you're being told the information.

I'll be honest and say I was disappointed when the setting was changed from the prison. That place was a horrible but fascinating place that I would like to read more about. Aside from personal preferences like that, the book was a great addition to the fantasy genre.

View all my reviews