Tuesday, February 12, 2019

Review: Ascend Online

Ascend Online Ascend Online by Luke Chmilenko
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

Sort of a Jumanji meets a slightly less sinister USS Callister/Dungeons and Dragons, Ascend Online is a science-fiction fantasy set in the not so distant future, 2047. Marcus is pulled into the interactive online video game he plays with his friends and from there he has adventures beyond his wildest imagination. Luke Chmilenko created this premise and seems to have written every word for his gamer buddies. I don't mean that in a derogatory way necessarily but I am saying there is a specific target audience for this and I'm probably not in the clique. My kids, definitely, even my techie nerd husband would probably be entertained by Ascend Online. Being that my youngest is eleven and my husband is forty-something, well that's a wide age range and I would be remiss if I didn't admit that Chmilenko deserves come commendation for delivering that kind of appeal.

I have to stick to my roots and point out that the dialogue was at times somewhat overly dramatic and unrealistic and a more thorough editing and proofreading job most certainly could have been done.

View all my reviews