Wednesday, February 13, 2019

Review: Welcome to Spicetown

Welcome to Spicetown Welcome to Spicetown by Sheri Richey
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Spicetown Mysteries is a new amateur sleuth series by Sheri Richey. I have heard this style of mystery referred to as cozy mystery or cozy crime, meaning the usual sex and violence associated with other sub-genres in crime is missing. I tend to prefer that dark grittiness with my crime. It feels more real for me. But there do come those times when it's nice to get caught up in and enjoy a more innocent atmosphere. That's what happened with Welcome to Spicetown, the first book of the series.

Spicetown, Ohio, with its street names like Paprika Parkway and Sage Street, is running high on the cutesy factor. Mayor Cora Mea Bingham plays the main character role and you can't help but adore her. She's funny and the dynamic between her and the other main character, police chief Conrad Harris, is amusing to read. Despite the saccharine setting, the mystery is something you find yourself totally immersed in solving. And after all, isn't that the whole point of a mystery novel?

View all my reviews