Tuesday, February 12, 2019

Review: The Scent of Distant Worlds

The Scent of Distant Worlds The Scent of Distant Worlds by W.D. County
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This is a science-fiction fantasy novel that will grab the attention and imagination of even the most sci-fi/fantasy reluctant reader amongst us. Though I admit that I have liked more of the genre than I ever expected to, I still carry that hesitancy when I get a whiff of that specific subject matter. The same was true with The Scent of Distant Worlds yet I'll be the first to confess that W.D. County has created something grand in this seemingly short 317 pages. I definitely wanted more of the Obsidion domain and more of Cassie and her wit and grit. The idea of first contact with alien life and how that might come about is brought to life vividly in The Scent of Distant Worlds in a way I've never experienced. As someone who tends to focus on the nuts and bolts of any writing, I was more than willing to suspend my critical eye in favor of the pure enjoyment of the story being told. It didn't hurt that there wasn't a lot of errors and typos to contend with. Bravo!

View all my reviews